Tartan Trappings

francois et moi

I love the nod to tartan and plaid patterning that’s happening this fall in fashion, especially when the nod comes in the form of a cozy scarf. Last weekend, I picked up a few yards of a cotton flannel plaid, and by simply fraying the edges, created a scarf that will carry me into the winter months with warmth and style. (Though I’m keeping mine for myself, you could easily fray up a bunch of these for Holiday gifts that are right on trend!)

francois et moi

Materials List:

• 2 Yards of your chosen tartan fabric. I used cotton flannel that I picked up in store at Joann Fabrics.
  • Scissors
  • Measuring Tape

francois et moi

Step 1. Cut down the width of your fabric so that it’s roughly 25″ wide (x 72″ long). Use the fabric’s plaid grid as a guide when cutting your fabric down to size to help you create straight, clean cuts.

Step 2. To achieve the fringe on the ends of the scarf, simply remove the fabric’s weft yarns (the yarns that run left to right) along the short side of the fabric. Continue removing yarns until you’ve reached your desired fringe length. I chose to do a 1-3/4″ fringe.

Step 3. Repeat Step 2 on the opposite end of the fabric, so that you have fringe on both of the short sides of the scarf.

francois et moifrancois et moifrancois et moi

This same technique could also be used to make a throw simply by buying an extra yard of fabric and leaving it at it’s full width instead of cutting it down.

francois et moi

If giving as a gift, roll the scarf up tightly and secure with leather or suede string!

francois et moifrancoisetmoi.com

0 comment on Tartan Trappings

1. shannon
    December 16, 2013 at 3:13 am (1 year ago)

how do you stop it from fraying

• francoisetmoi
      December 16, 2013 at 4:04 am (1 year ago)

Hi Shannon!
      Good question. If you’re worried about fraying, you could use a sewing machine to add a zigzag stitch above the fringe and on the raw edges. I left the edges raw, because the flannel I used was very tightly woven and didn’t fray unless I intentionally pulled out the yarns.

2. E
    December 19, 2013 at 5:08 pm (1 year ago)

Do you know of a faster way of fraying the ends? It is really tedious and time consuming to remove each woven thread one by one. Thanks.

• francoisetmoi
      December 20, 2013 at 2:00 pm (1 year ago)

Hi E,
      I’m not familiar with a faster way to fray the ends. If you discover a faster way, please let us all know.
      Thank you!

• Jenn
        September 28, 2014 at 12:20 am (3 months ago)

Using a pin or long needle (long enough to be able to grasp) to tease out the ends of the fabric makes it quite a bit faster. If you are fraying all sides, starting by picking a few threads from each side instead of trying to just work from one side.

3. mobile games
    April 15, 2014 at 10:02 am (8 months ago)

Great information. Lucky me I found your site by chance (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book-marked it for later!

4. dragonvale cheats
    May 13, 2014 at 7:40 am (7 months ago)

Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with?

I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having a tough time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most
    blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
    P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

• francoisetmoi
      June 29, 2014 at 8:01 pm (6 months ago)

I use the Adelle platform through WordPress–good luck with your blog!

5. Leia
    July 27, 2014 at 6:19 pm (5 months ago)

I’m not sure why but this blog is loading very slow for me.

Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end?
    I’ll check back later and see if the problem still
    exists.

• francoisetmoi
      July 29, 2014 at 9:06 am (5 months ago)

Hi Leia,
      It seems to be loading okay on my end. Is it still slow for you? If so, I’ll email WordPress. Thanks for letting me know!

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Tartan Trappings

1. […] a. Indigo Tea Towels, b.  Lavender Sachets, c. Salted Bourbon Caramels, d. Vanilla Extract, e. Paperwhite Bulb Kit,  f. Tartan Scarf […]

2. […] no knit (or sew) scarf for Grandpa, he’ll be snuggly and warm this Winter, fraying directions on Francios et […]

Thoughts?