I originally stopped in the craft store a few weekends ago looking for materials to make a statement necklace, and while I was there I saw some intricate bead caps and came up with the idea to make these pretty drop earrings. Once I figured out my game plan, they came together quite quickly (about 10 minutes per earring), and I’m pretty pleased with the result. Here’s the step-by-step on how to make a pair for yourself!
Materials List: I used Blue Moon Bead brand materials available at Joann Fabrics. Unfortunately, not everything is available on Joann’s website, but I linked to everything I could.
- Qty 2 – 1 1/4″ Metal Head Pin (Gold)
- Qty 2 – Metal Fish Hook Earring Findings (Gold)
- Qty 2 – 10 mm Sphere Shaped Glass Beads
- Qty 2 – 3/8′ Metal Bead Caps (Gold)
Step 1. Thread glass bead onto metal head pin followed by the bead cap (cap should hug the curve of the bead).
Step 2. Bend protruding metal head pin at a 90 degree angle.
Step 3. Use the round nose pliers as a guide to bend the metal pin into a loop: Start the metal pin about a 1/8″ down from the tip of the pliers, and use your fingers to wrap the pin around one of the sides of the cone-shaped pliers to form a loop.
Step 4. Slide the loop of the earring finding onto the head pin loop you just formed in Step 3.
Step 5. Closely trim the pin head’s leftover tail. Use pliers to close the pin head loop, so the earring finding won’t slide off.
Step 6. Repeat Steps 1-4 for matching earring. And….done!
- Step 3 & 4 can be a little tricky the first time around and may take a little finessing. Just keep working at the loop until to reach a nice, round closed loop. You’ll get it!