It’s always so exciting when “Spring Ahead” Daylight Savings rolls around. Not only is Spring so imminently close you can feel it, but our days become noticeably longer. That means more daylight for blogging and less of a race against the clock to get everything done before the sun sets. (Can I get an amen?!)
Along with this bout of spring fever comes an urge to hit the reset button: spring cleaning, switching over to summer clothes, and updating a few everyday use things that get beat up over the winter. So I started small this weekend and gave my keyring a fresh facelift with these spring-y faux leather keychains. So long Winter, good to see you Spring!
- Gold keychain clasp ($2 each at Menards!)
- Faux leather
- Gold metallic thread
- Sewing needle
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
- T-square or ruler
- Clear spray sealer (totally optional)
1. Cut a 5/8″ wide x 7-1/2″ long strip of faux leather or leather.
2. Fold one end of the strip lengthwise.
3. Cut the strip at 45 degree angle upward towards the middle of the strip to create the notch.
4. Repeat with the other end of the strip.
5. Thread the strip through the closed loop of the gold clasp. Thread a needle with a REALLY long piece of thread. Srsly, like 12 feet of thread. Double knot the ends of the thread, leaving a 2″ tail at the end. Insert the needle/thread through the underside of the strip, pull all the way through.
6. Create a 1/4″ horizontal stitch (see image #6) and thread the needle back through both strip layers.Create the same 1/4″ stitch on the other side of the strip.
7. Wrap thread around the faux leather concealing the stitch you made in step 6.
8. Double knot the end of the thread with the 2″ tail on the double knotted, opposite end of the thread. Trim excess thread.
9. Optional: Cover the keychain with 2 pieces of paper, exposing only the gold band, and spray with clear sealer to help keep the gold threads in place.