This last minute little pillow project came about as I sat down in the rocker one night taking in the progress we’d made in the nursery and while sitting there I noticed we needed a lumbar pillow for a little extra support in the lower back. The next day I started ideating what the pillow might look like and I remembered that right about the time we found out we were expecting, I had stumbled upon this beautiful baby swimsuit from Ox Eyed Baiby on Pinterest and fell in love with the yellow and white contrast, the lace, the handmade feel…all of it. I remembered being bummed at the time because the swimsuit was one of a kind, and no longer available. But now! 8 months later, it was the perfect inspiration for my lumbar pillow. It’s funny how inspiration works sometimes, isn’t it?
The technique for the pillow applique is really quite simple. It’s just a matter of cutting apart the lace, arranging the design on the pillow, and tacking it in place with needle and thread. The most difficult part is probably deciding how to place and space apart the lace! Read on for the full tutorial…
As you guys know, any time I feature an interiors project on Francois et Moi, I always do an accompanying ‘Get the Look’ post to make it easy to call out each element used in creating the design. And today is no different! Get the look for Luxe + Lillies’ serene nursery feature (Missed it? See it here!) with the thorough round-up below. I’m especially smitten with the handmade wire deer head and gold piggy bank!
a. Swaddle Blankets b. Wire Deer Head c. bamboo shade d. little boys print e. mini crib f. crib sheet g. book ledge h. wire basket i. glider j. side table k. harem pants l. baby moccasins m. deer head print n. cross print o. gold piggy bank p. changer q. dresser
As promised, today I’ve got all the sources used to create the nursery look compiled in one place! You may notice we stayed pretty true to the original concept board with the exception of the crib, accessories and some of the art. The yellow applique pillow, mobile, knot pillow and doorknob banner are DIY’s that will be coming at ya (some) as video tutorials in the month of February, so stay tuned! If you missed the full reveal and video tour, head here to check it out.
Today is the big day! We’ve been working hard to renovate the nursery and after several weeks I’m excited and relieved to say it’s done. And just in the nick of time might I add: our due date is less than 2 weeks away! At the beginning of this process, I had no idea what I wanted this space to look like, only that I wanted it to feel Nordic, fun and playful, a space that might spark imagination and foster creativity.
When we found out we were having a girl, I have to admit my mind immediately went towards the color pink: girly pink with white and neutrals. But the more visual research I did on Pinterest, the more I came to the realization that Ken and I don’t even really like the color pink. And we all know the baby doesn’t have a preference what her room looks like yet, so why not create a space that we’ll enjoy spending long hours rocking our little one to sleep in. Let’s kick things off with what this room looked like BEFORE, shall we?
It’s been 6 weeks of renovation and the nursery is nearly finished! Today I’ve got a little peek of the room for you and want to talk specifically about the art we chose because it’s one of my favorite things in the room and honestly probably the easiest things to execute.
Once the old ice damage was fixed, the board & batten and wallcovering were up, it was time to think about art, and we worked with Framebridge to make it happen. Framing is their specialty, which means they have it down to a science, from the ordering process, to the personal note tucked in with each framed piece, to including the hardware needed to hang your specific piece. It’s obvious there’s a lot of thought and love that goes into their craft.
Good Afternoon! I’m back with an update on what’s been happening in the nursery. As you know, we suspected some water damage on the west wall due to decades of ice dams, and as we pulled back the lath and plaster, we found some extremely rotted, uninsulated 2×4’s that needed replacing. However, no moisture or signs of mold as there was also a little hole in the exterior plaster that we’re assuming allowed everything to dry over the years. The plan was to replace the wall’s 2×4’s, insulate and dry wall, but before we could get started, we had to address the drooping ceiling crest.
Okay guys, you’ve seen the before photos, and now you’re probably wondering what the heck we have planned for this space! Here’s a breakdown of the scope of the project: